Wednesday, July 29, 2009

D&C 38-- http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/38

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/38 is the link to this amazing scripture, I don't want this post to be too long but I feel I must point out for those of you who are not familiar with the Doctrine and Convenant that it was is composed (I think that is the word) of Revelations given to the Lord through the Prophet Joseph Smith as he restored the church (I know I slaughtered that descriptions and now you are all even more confused so check out this link and it will explain it further/better: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/introduction)

This particular revelation was given to the Prophet Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon, near Fayette, New York, December 1830.

there are so many great words in this chapter but since I know I don't have the time to share all 42 verses I want to take a minute and skim over a couple verses that stood out as I read it, and encourage you to read it yourself and return and share with me your thoughts about what struck you as you read it.

D&C 38:10 Verily I say unto you, ye are clean, but not all; and there is none else with whom I am well pleased;

wow, I don't know exackly who he is talking about when he says "but not all" but I know the Lord God is pleased by his followers who live a worthy, clean, righteous life. now I must point out that some members of the Church may or may not translate this scripture to mean that only members of the church are clean and that none other are--but I don't think that is true, I think it just means that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints just have a better understanding because we have modern day prophets that we support and follow, we don't worship them and put them above God, we seek their council because we know that God has called them to share with us God's wants and wishes. I also think of some people informing me that only members of this particular church will get to heaven, but I know that isn't exackly true, because I know that there are 3 degrees of heaven, and even though they may not be allowed to enter the 3rd degree (the best of the best) they will still be in heaven, and depending on what religion you belong to depends on what your idea of heaven is and so if you don't know about the 3 different degrees of heaven you aren't disappointed when you don't get into the 3rd degree (or is it the 1st that would be the best of the best, whichever one it is I am talking about the best of the best) it doesn't really matter cause you weren't expecting it to begin with so either way they make it to heaven--does that make sense? That is just how I feel, whether it is right or not I do not know

Ok, I have to speed this up, sorry but I will just point out a few key points, like in 16 it stated "and the poor have complained before me, and the rich have I made, and all flesh is mine and i am no respector of persons" I honestly don't get what that scripture is saying, but if you read on he put it into a parable and compares a father and 2 sons and it all makes sense, I just like that it says "and the rich have I made" but I think it is talking about blessings and not actual money because money comes and goes but blessings you can truly enjoy--like my son, before he was born we were rich with money and once he was born all our money seemed to be gone but we had him and he is worth way more than money.

anyhow, skipping ahead to 25 where it reads to "esteem his brother as himself" which i think means to treat your brother, sister, neighbor, friend, as you would want them to treat you--haven't we heard this somewhere else? Ah yes, many may have forgotten but it is the Golden rule, too bad those who really need to be reminded of the Golden Rule aren't exackly the type of people that are going to be reading the Doctrine and Covenants. it is soon after this verse he explains the parable.

In 39 he warns to "beware of Pride" and I remember this being a big deal one lesson at church because Pride was of the Devil, anyhow some may mis-understand this verse, as I remember my mom once telling me she would never be proud of me because pride was of the devil--that wasn't the pride that it is talking about, it is OK to be proud of your kids when they do something good, it isn't OK to have so much Pride in your kids that you refuse to admit that they would ever do bad (i.e. little Johnny told the truth therefore he will never lie, always remember that nobody is without sin--well there is one exception to that rule and it is Jesus Christ, but no one else) another example is to be so proud of a possession that you let it begin to control your life--like say your car, yes it is fast, it is big, is gets great gas mileage, but if you have to work 7 days a week, miss time with your family and give up your sunday worship then is it really worth selling your soul to keep or could you maybe trade it in for something else, or another example dealing with the car is are you so proud of its conditions that you would chance losing a child to protect it--silly and rediculous I know, but think about it, how many times have you freaked out when it has gotten a little scratch, or maybe when they spill some food or drink?

now I will end with mentioning verse 41 which reads "and let our preaching be the warning voice, every man to his neighbor, in mildness and in meekness." Now it doesn't say go shout it from the roof tops or preach hell, fire, and damnation, it says to do it in mildness and in meekness, just thought that was a good thought to end with...

SO...what do you all think? what scripture stood out to you? some feedback would really be appreciated, and sorry this was so long, it was picked randomly, I didn't purposely choose such a long chapter, but I do hope you enjoy it, like I said I do believe it has reminded me of some very great words of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

Tyler, Texas, United States
We dated in High School off and on, and despite all the on again off agains of our relationship we "ran" to Vegas and were married May 10th, 2003 in a Vegas Wedding Chapel shortly after my niece Cathrine was baptized. We were later sealed Dec. 27, 2005 in the Salt Lake City Temple, that was our family Christmas present. We Had our loving son Dec. 15, 2004 (he came a month early but was pretty much perfectly fine). We moved from Salt Lake City, UT on 6/6/06 and arrived in Tyler, TX 3 long days later and have decided to stay put